- Manufacturer: Alpinestars
Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support SbThe Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support (BNS) is a structure which is designed to work with a helmet to reduce the risk and severity of a catastrophic neck injury (i.e. a paralyzing injury). While no product can guarantee protection from all motorcycle injuries, due to the varied dynamics of accidents, the BNS is designed to substantially reduce the likelihood of a career ending neck injury although it must be stated at the outset that it, as with other such systems, may not prevent injuries occurring in all cases.
The BNS functions by providing an alternative load path for the energy that compresses the neck. If the helmet is in contact with the Bionic Neck Support at the moment of impact the overall load passing through the neck can be reduced, which may prevent a fracture from occurring. The BNS also helps reduce the chance of muscular injuries associated with extremes of head movement. While it is not possible to eliminate the risk of any form of injury, the BNS is designed to help prevent the most serious damage and minimize the risk of collateral injury as the impact load is channeled away from the neck. When compared to soft 'neck roll' devices the protection afforded is significantly better because being soft, these devices simply deform, offering no protection against the damaging compressive forces.
- Rear Stabilizer Failure System - In the event of large loads being channeled onto the rear stabilizer (the part that sits on the back) there are several deliberate bending and fracture points designed to relieve extreme loads that may be transmitted down the back. These include: deflection of foam tail, grooves to allow deflection of support structure tip and fracture area of support structure tip. Fracture of supporting members (also fracture if subjected to side loads that could cause the head to rotate).
- Collar Bone Preservation 1 - All parts in contact with the body use an expanded foam compound to distribute the impact force over the widest area, yet remain light in weight.
- Collar Bone Preservation 2 - A continuous frame member runs over the shoulders. This means there are no weak points in a critical part of the frame and that there are no metal pins or screws sitting directly above the shoulders which could be dislodged into the shoulders or collarbone during an accident.
- Choice of Strap Systems - The BNS is supplied with the X-Strap System which allows a small, light strap (worn over or under the jersey) to secure the device to the rider. The larger A-Strap assembly (available as a separate accessory) provides a traditional chest strap for those who like to wear the protector tight to the body. Available mounting points for accessories allow for integration of the BNS with other Alpinestars accessories.